at Morgan Park Presbyterian Church
Director of Music
Morgan Park Presbyterian Church is a progressive congregation “committed to Christ, Diversity and Mission.” This is lived out in worship by creating an inclusive and spiritual environment that utilizes a variety of musical genres.
- Coordinates with the Pastor in planning, preparing, and playing music appropriate to the worship service.
- Directs the choir during weekly rehearsal and on Sunday Morning during choir season (August-June).
- Given first refusal to play for weddings and funerals. Additional compensation is provided for these services.
- Available to play for special gatherings of the church when requested by the Pastor including holiday services (Longest Night, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunrise Service, Easter Morning Service), and additional services and concerts as needed.
- Assist in the hiring of substitute musicians if not available.
- Attend and provide a written report to Worship and Music Committee and collaborate with worship planning.
- Be present in the church a minimum of 5 hours weekly during choir season.
- Pursues opportunities for community collaboration.
- Recruits for Chancel Choir and hires paid musicians for worship.
- Coordinate the maintenance of musical instruments and sound equipment.
- Works collaboratively with the pastor, Worship and Music Committee, and choir.
- Must be an experienced church musician
- Must be proficient in piano/organ performance.
- Excellent sight-reading and improvisational ability desired.
- Skill in performing a diversity of musical genres desired, for example: Jazz, Classical, Contemporary etc.
- Accountable to the pastor
- Ex-officio member of the Worship and Music Committee.
- Director of the choir.
- Minister of Music to the congregation.
Hours and Benefits
- Part-time position includes: Sunday 9:30am Choir Review and 10:30am worship, Chancel Choir rehearsal, and holiday services as described above.
- Annual three-week paid vacation, dates to be scheduled with Pastor.
- Salary range of $15,000 to $16,000 based on experience.
- Not eligible for unemployment benefits
Send résumé with cover letter to:
Morgan Park Presbyterian Church
2017 W 110th Place
Chicago, IL 60643